When I'd finished the stitching I decided to mount the work on thick felt and that's when my beginners luck started to run out. The felt I use is a creamy colour and so I wanted to paint it in a colour that would further bring out the red elements in the piece. But I just couldn't create the right sort of red and the more I over painted it, the more the felt took on a plasticy look and feel. There was only one thing for it but start the background again.
This time I was much happier with the colour. My plan was to glue the two pieces together and then to add a few catching stitches for security. Firstly I used fabric glue but the paper lamination just peeled off. So I used some 'posh' PVA which has (unfortunately) stuck very well. Although the two pieces each seemed to be cut squarely, they don't quite so square when they are layered up. I probably wouldn't make a very good patchworker. There was only one thing for it....pull it off and go back to the drawing board. By this time my beginners luck had well and truly run out and the glue was now holding it very firmly in place!
I don't usually give up easily and indeed I have perservered with this piece but I think now might be the time to cut my losses. Shame!