Friday 8 March 2013

Another Place

I really enjoyed my visit to Antony Gormley's Another Place, last year and I hoped that it would inspire a textile piece. I thought my recent dry brush trials would would lend itself well to the subject and that kantha inspired stitch could create beach like ripples.
 

I created a very pale piece knowing that I would add additional depth of colour by laying organza underneath the top cloth and with the thread I used.



This is the piece with the layered organza underneath.....



....and here it is with some stitching.....


....and it's still looking too pale, although the colours are slightly darker than these photographs show.

What to do next? Unpick the stitching and repaint the stripes, which is probably the safest option? Or do I complete the stitching and brush on some fabric paint to darken up some of the areas? This could be interesting if I could mange to limit the colour to the top of 'ripples' but this is risky. It would be a lot of stitching time wasted if it went wrong and it would be pretty irretrievable at that point. The problems with my 'Changing Times' piece has reminded me that not everything is retrievable. A small experiment is in order but I am gearing myself up for a bit of unpicking. 

Hopefully, I'll be back with news of things that have gone to plan soon!

PS thanks for your encouraging feedback after my last post


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you