Sunday 30 March 2014

Combining the Blue and Yellow Landscape

I have worked on my blue and yellow landscapes again.  This time I used soy wax to protect some of the yellow fabric and then scraped dark blue dye paste pretty much everywhere and I think it has made the 3 pieces a bit more interesting. Here's one of them....


.......and a close up of a section of the fabric. The waxing and over printing has added some additional texture which I like.


I only ever intended to create 1 blue/yellow landscape piece but in my repeated attempt (and failure) to recreate my paper design in fabric, I created 3 hardly distinguishable pieces. So what to do with them? I knew I wouldn't want to stitch all 3 but there in my sketchbook was a design that looked like it was made up of 3 landscapes (if you squint!)


I manipulated and folded the fabric, exploring options to use all 3 pieces of fabric into a single piece of textile. Here I have folded and placed 3 pieces on top of each other to create the 3-in-1 landscape. I was surprised to find that I quite liked this. Maybe the horizontal lines are a bit too straight though?

I also folded the fabric vertically and I must say that I preferred the horizontal marks that this created. I like the folds but I don't want it to look like curtains! If I cut it into strips and stitched back together, would it become bitty?


The next question is could I combine the two ideas? This time I made horizontal folds
.

I like the random marks created by folding the fabric but I  think I prefer the marks made by the vertical folds. Could I create a piece combining vertical strips and three horizon lines? I think I'll give it a go!


1 comment:

  1. I rather like the horizontal folds.I won't be able to make it to your private view on Thursday but hope to visit the exhibition another time. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you