Sunday 12 January 2014

Take a View

Last week I enjoyed visiting the Take a View exhibition, which exhibits photographs from the Landscape Photographer of the Year competition. As always there were some stunning photographs often of beautiful landscapes but there were two abstract photographs that made me think of different approaches I should consider in my own work. 

The first one was 'Icy Abstract' is by Robert Birkby and is a photograph of a frozen puddle.

 


The second one was 'Blue Sky Reflection' by Charlotte Burton,  which shows the reflection of the sky in an office building.








I think these would translate well into textiles, not that I would use these, but close-ups of landscapes could provide some new  ideas. if you would like to see the exhibition it's on at the National Theatre until 9th February and entry is free.



Another thing I have done recently is read Steal like an Artist by Austin Kleon. It has given me some food for thought and as it's the time when we set goals and objectives, I thought I'd share this image from the book:




Although It made me smile, it did make me think. Maybe this is the year that I get a shed/workshop set up at home?


2 comments:

  1. Yes, do it! I love mine, it cost me about the price of a half decent holiday, and I've got it forever and not just a for a fortnight. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear... do it! I really like that first photo!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you