Thursday 15 August 2013

Festival of Quilts 2013 - Part 2

As promised in my last post, here are a few more of photographs from the Festival of Quilts. This one was called 'Japanese Inspiration' and was made by Anna Christensen and I love the limited colour palette and the simplicity of the design.


Keeping with the spotty theme, this one was was made by Dianne Firth. The backing cloth is made of net and the shadows created by the 'red stones' become part of the work. 

 
This quilt by Jill Butterfield also caught my eye. Again I liked the colours, the simplicity of the design and that the left hand side of the piece was longer than the right side.
 
It's interesting to see which quilts your remember several days after the show and I can still see Annabel Rainbows quilts clearly in my mind. These were exhibited in the Through our Hands exhibition. When you got close to the quilt, there is lots of detail and interesting elements to discover.
 

The miniature quilt section usually has me shaking my head in disbelief and this year was no exception - how do these artists manage to work so small? Bear in mind that these quilts can be no more than 30cm on there longest side. This was the winning quilt and was made by Kumiko Frydl.

 
If you were unable to attend the show this year then hopefully this has given you a taster of what you have missed but remember that the photographs don't do justice to the work and that they are even better in real life. There was so many to see, I wonder how many I missed? Here's to next year's show being just as good!


 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. One day at the show is not enough. I didn't see most of these! I couldn't believe the wrk in that miniature either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marion, I've just found your blog which I'm now following. I've just written a blog about FOQ, I had a lovely time there. Red stones 2 was my very favourite... I think!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you