I am working on the fabric I showed in this post, so there are already variances in the colour of the cloth.
The two images above show the dye still wet and the one below with it dried but not washed.
I do have a rough plan of how I will use the text but I will need to be build it up with lots of layers of over printing.
I did a number of tests, using both liquid dye (thin) and thickened dye. This piece of linen has been coated with the no-flow product prior to writing on the fabric.
This piece was untreated and you can see that the text made with the liquid dye is 'lost', but there is little difference with the thickened dye paste.
You may be wondering why I bother writing text if you cannot read it but I have found it much easier to keep repeating a short phrase than trying to create random marks, that inevitably don't look very random when I do them.
Trying and testing this new method of working has got my creative juices flowing again and I'm looking forward to breathing new life into a piece of work that I had put aside. I need to go and think about the next layer of text now.