Sunday, 23 February 2014

Blue and Yellow Landscapes continued

In a previous post I showed some of my colour experiments on paper. I liked some of the accidental landscapes that I found within the experiments, particularly those with unnatural, or unexpected colours so I used this blue and yellow piece to inspire a printed textile. 

To be more accurate, it inspired 3 printed textile pieces. I didn't intend to start 3 pieces but I was struggling to recreate the same effect on fabric as I had on paper. 
When I thought I knew how the process could be improved, I started another piece. Maybe the effect I was looking for would be achieved if I kept some slack in the fabric and didn't pin it so tightly?
Maybe if I wet the fabric first, then the colours would blend more easily and I'd achieve what I was looking for?
But non of them seemed to quite hit the mark and if you're thinking that they all look pretty similar and you can't differentiate between the different techniques, then you're not alone - nor can I!
I can't say that I'm particularly fond of any of them at the moment but I do know that it's very, very rare for me to be happy with a piece of cloth that has only had one process or printing session. So I'm not giving up yet. Next, I will try to protect some of the yellow dye and over print with a much darker blue to see what happens. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think it is just that little lack of sponteneity that makes the difference when we try to translate from one medium to another... but if anyone will persevere and get the right effect I know you will! Good luck!


Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you