In last month's post Gearing Up for my Next Landscape , I showed some of the photographs and drawings that I had done in what I'm calling my pink landscape series. Or at least I like to think of it becoming a series because I have a few ideas that I would like to develop and I have picked this section of a photograph as inspiration for my first piece.
On Saturday I went to C2C and worked on the background for the piece. It has now had two layers of dye on it, or perhaps more accurately I should say I have had two sessions of printing because I do layer the dyes in each printing session. The picture was taken in the salubrious surroundings of my garage because that's one place where I can hang up the full length of the fabric.
I'm much happier after the second session of printing, probably because the design now has some structure and the textures are starting to build up. I plan explore design options for the tree using paper before I commit any dyes to it. It may just turn out to be a shape that I add, rather that something that is instantly recognisable as a tree. But even before I add the tree, I reckon there's at least two more dyeing sessions to go before I am happy with the depth of colour and texture in the background. It all takes time.
Just because I was printing on Saturday, it doesn't mean that I have abandoned my stitching for the exhibition. In fact my reel piece is almost finished and I should have that to show you soon. Just to prove that my stitching fingers have been busy, here's the current state of them!
This weekend my fingers will get a rest whilst I visit the Knitting and Stitch Show at Alexandra Palace and hopefully I'll come back with even more inspiration - I'm looking forward to it.