Sunday 3 August 2014

New Talent

I love this doll! Especially her eyes. This doll was made by Ella Oliver, aged 11. How talented is she? I have never met Ella but I work with her Mum and I enjoy hearing about Ella's enthusiasm for textile art. I hear Ella's thinking of starting her own textile blog - I look forward to reading that. I have shown this picture to lots of my textile friends and everyone has loved it, keep it up Ella.

                                          

To mark the National Day of Stitch and to try to attract new talent to our branch of the Embroiderers Guild, Anne, GinaGill and I sat and stitched in David's book shop, Letchworth and very enjoyable it was too. We laughed, we enjoyed lovely cake from the cafe, bought books from the shop and met some very nice people. We had much more interest than we dared hope and our thanks go The Comet  for featuring us in the paper. So many people came in saying they had seen us in the paper. Thanks too the staff at David's bookshop for allowing us to use their venue and making us feel  so welcome. 
Us just settling in at David's book shop - minus Gina who took the photograph.
We gave out free broach kits to all interested stitchers, the only catch was that there were no instructions in the kits! We will be showing how to make the broaches at our next meeting on 6th September and hope that many new people will come to our meeting and see what a friendly group we are. You can see that we are each wearing one of the broaches we have made. It would have been nice show some photographs with our visitors but of course when we enjoying chatting to visitors about stitching, taking photographs was not on our mind.

This may seem like a simple idea but it took a lot of organisation and took a lot of time to make up the kits and I did none of it. All I had to do was turn up, stitch, chat and talk enthusiastically about our group which was easy to do. Thanks Gina, Anne and Gill for all your work.

I'm sure Ella will soon be inspiring others to pick up a needle and thread too.

2 comments:

  1. I love Ella's doll. The detail on the face is wonderful. And don't under estimate your contribution on Saturday. It was your enthusiasm at the AGM that sparked the idea and you gave up a valuable Saturday. It was much appreciated. What a brilliant day we had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you let us know when Ella has her blog up and running? She has great talent.
    Good luck in the Festival of Quilts tomorrow. I've also entered a piece, in the Quilt Creations category. If you're there tomorrow maybe I'll see you there.
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you